Your brand is an outward extension of your company, and every asset you produce should match the set. Luckily, it’s easy to design a Formstack form with our Theme Editor—no CSS or custom code necessary! Let’s explore some ways you can start customizing.
Quick Start: Themes
A theme is a style template that encompasses your form. You can quickly and easily brand your form using a custom theme. Choose a pre-built theme, or create your own custom theme.
- On the "Build" page of your form, you will see the "Style" tab in the upper left corner. Click the "Style" tab to create a new theme.
- Search for and sort your account’s themes in the Style tab. You'll see the active theme used on your form listed at the top.
- Create a new theme by selecting the "Create Theme" button. Start by naming it and begin changing the styling options for your new theme.
- Save and Activate will save your new theme and set it as the Active theme on your form.
Formstack offers an impressive number of things you can alter directly in the Theme Editor without using custom code:
- Background — Adjust color, input a pattern, and/or add a custom image.
- Theme Header — Add custom images/logos to the top of the theme and align them to the left, right, or center.
- Sections — Change background color, heading text color, heading font, heading font size, text color, font type, font size, and the spacing between sections.
- Form — The form is a box within your theme. You can customize the form color, alignment on the web page, and spacing between rows, as well as add a border to the form.
- Labels (field name) — Change color (you can select different colors for required labels and non-required labels), font type, and font size.
- Fields — Adjust text color, border color, background color, required field border and background color, interior padding, and supporting text color.
- Footer — Add custom images/logos to the bottom of the theme, and align them to the left, right, or center.
Formstack also allows for the addition of advanced custom CSS, which will either append or override style settings already chosen.
- Locate the CSS editor by going into the form builder, clicking the “Style” button at the top left, hovering over the preferred theme to reveal the “Edit” option, then choosing the “Advanced Code Editor.” (If the “Edit” button doesn't appear and you see “Make a Copy” instead, this indicates you're attempting to edit a stock theme and will need to first make a copy to make it a custom theme.)
- Once you are in the Advanced Code Editor you can choose the CSS tab to edit the CSS.
If a custom theme is more than you’re ready for or able to do, don’t worry! You don’t need a custom theme to customize the style of your form. Images and logos can be added directly to the form itself via a Description Area field.
- Drag and drop the field from the list of form fields on the left side of your form in Build mode.
- Click on your new field and select “Field-Specific” on the left hand menu. Select “Edit Description Area.” This will open up a rich text editor.
- Click on the image icon within the field, and it will insert a box for you to either drop an image or select one from your files.
- Once your image is uploaded successfully, you can alter the size and alignment directly in the field with the field edit tools displayed. Click “Save” to make your image appear on the form.
You may also want to add company mission statements and slogans where appropriate via a Description Area field on your form or in the header or footer of your custom theme. You can customize it all, so get creative!
To add an image to your notification and confirmation emails, navigate to your form and go to Settings > Emails & Actions > Notification/Confirmation Email. In the email, change it to a custom message. To insert an image into your custom message email, click on the Insert Image button (which looks like a small mountain), select your preferred image, and alter the size/alignment as needed.
Removing Formstack’s Name from Your Form
By default, your form will have a Formstack referral badge at the bottom. If you want to remove this for further customization, it is possible depending on your Formstack plan.
Consider keeping the Referral Badge for 1) more form credibility and 2) credits back to your account if anyone clicks your link and signs up. (Hooray!)
If you do choose to remove the Referral Badge:
- Open up the form and go to Settings > General.
- In the Form Name & Options section, you'll see a field for “Show Referral Badge” that you can set from Yes to No, which will then remove the badge from the Form.
Love Your Forms
At Formstack, we love Forms—and believe you should love yours too! If you’re looking for more advanced customization or how to use CSS, check out our library of resources, from our blog to our detailed support center.
If you still have yet to try Formstack Forms, trial it free for 14 days to demo our form builder and see how better customization can impact your brand.